Friday, February 08, 2008

The Power of Questions

The way you talk to yourself, or think to yourself is a determining factor in your overall success and happiness. The quality of questions you ask of yourself is one of the most important steps in taking control of your full potential. Are you asking the right questions?

If you say “why can I never come up with good ideas for my team teaching class?” your brain will search for and always find an answer, like “because I’m not smart enough” or “because it’s too hard”, and you won’t get anywhere. Try asking different questions like “how can I find better ideas?” Now your brain will come up with more useful suggestions like “search online” or “read a book”.

OK so that was a bit of a simple example. Believe it or not, it’s not just for team teaching. How about this one “Why am I overweight?” Answer “because I eat too much and don’t exercise” Action: I accept my self-concept that I am an overweight person and that I eat too much and don't exercise, therefore no action is needed, great!

A better question might be “How can I maintain my ideal weight?” Answer “healthy diet and regular exercise of course!” Action: I’d better try on my running shoes…

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home